The Oaks That Chimed

• 5 replies

Alexb83

• The notorious B.I.G.gles
    • CMDR Alex
The Oaks That Chimed
« on: July 19, 2011, 11:03:43 AM »
The strange, crystalline leaves of the chime-oaks sang in the soft summer breeze, like the pealing of fine brass bells - and in the branches, whilst her silent, unmoving gallery looked on with lifeless eyes, the great beast slumbered, and dreamed a fevered dream of long ago...

Malaevan danced out along the thick glassy bough of the tree, heedless of the dexterity required to keep his footing - it creaked underneath their weight as his opponent lumbered after, thrashing and hissing - four more of its kind lay strewn about the foot of the oak already, their cold, dark ichor filling the air with a sickly charnel smell.

His thews burned, and his bones ached - the red haze of his own blood blurred his vision as it oozed from a cut upon his brow; his stout leather jerkin had been laid open by a swipe of steely claws, and the dreadful stinging rose and fell with every laboured breath.

Still the beast came on, teetering as it struggled to keep its footing, claws scratching deep and ugly rents in the crystalline wood, that oozed strange, clear sap - swiftly, the Bladesinger realised, he was running out of room, and the ground was full twenty feet below. One of them must fall, he knew.

In his hand, the long blade glittered like ice - weaving patterns this way and that through the air, just as he weaved his magic. As the dread beast lunged, he sang the song of swiftness, and leapt aside, lashing out at its baleful, glowing eye.

Its teeth clashed, and gnashed, but bit only empty air - and the blade struck home. How it howled as it fell, limbs flailing, and he too - though at the last, he caught the branch with his free hand, and hanging there, looked down at the ruin of his foe.

It stove into the corpses of its fallen ilk with a sickly crunch of shattered bones, still hissing - but even as he clawed his way back up to lay upon the branch, he saw it right itself before, casting a hateful, vengeful gaze up at him with its remaining eye, it fled into the woods. 

For Corym of the Ulondarr,
Vesryn of Kyr,
Dovaeryn Quelinte,
Unebril Rygara,
Amyvain
and.. whoever else they fancy bringing along,

The saga continues, this Friday night at 2000 BST (ore thereabouts)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:06:31 AM by Alexb83 »
"Jamais on ne fait le mal si pleinement et si gaiement que quand on le fait par conscience."

"Her lips were red, her looks were free, Her locks were yellow as gold: Her skin was white as leprosy, The Night-mare Life-in-Death was she, who thicks man's blood with cold."

Druie

• Administrator
    • Eredruie#4278
    • Cormanthor Wiki
Re: The Oaks That Chimed
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 11:19:57 AM »
(( Totes works for me  8) ))
Her skin is pale, her eyes are red,
Her leaden voice commands the dead,
To rise and stand beside their dreadful queen.
No mortal power escapes her thrall,
Her hunger will consume us all,
And even now I hear her call: Jolene

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »
and me!

fractal

• El-ahrairah
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 07:00:04 PM »
ooc: Works for me too.

Alexb83

• The notorious B.I.G.gles
    • CMDR Alex
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »
WHAT OF YE OTHERS?!?
"Jamais on ne fait le mal si pleinement et si gaiement que quand on le fait par conscience."

"Her lips were red, her looks were free, Her locks were yellow as gold: Her skin was white as leprosy, The Night-mare Life-in-Death was she, who thicks man's blood with cold."

p122

• pyr122#1609
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:44:13 PM »

Not sure, weekends are icky for me these days. I'll try to be there, but can't make promises.